Being someone who travels a lot, I've had my share of bad planes. It's not uncommon to step out of a long flight with your legs still half-asleep, praying to be stretched! People I know even say that a more expensive ticket is fine as long as the plane had enough legroom.
Another measure of comfortable I use is entertainment. I bring a book along to help pass the time, but I still check out the in-flight shows. More work-oriented friends of mine who carry laptops have internet access on the top of their list. I suppose I can also use that to browse the net, too.
The plane's amenities are also something to think about. I like spacious toilets since I'd rather not suffocate (in more ways than one) when using the can. I sleep while en route sometimes, so having nice pillows and blankets help me sleep soundly, as well as a nice, comfortable chair. Decent food is a must, since I've eaten enough on-board tasteless meals to last a lifetime. Friendly airline staff is also a big plus. I've been half-ignored by a grumpy stewardess once, and I was not even flirting with her!
So, what airlines are best for booking flights with? According to the World Airline Awards, they are the following:
1. Singapore Airlines – I've had the pleasure of flying with this airline a few times, and hearing that they are number one is not surprising at all. They've always had a good reputation among regular travelers, and for good reason. Economy class is not as cramped, business class is as good as it gets, great meals in all classes, friendly and well-trained cabin staff and a good selection of in-flight entertainment. If you have a flight with Singapore Airlines, you're guaranteed satisfaction. Your legs may not want to leave, and it's not because they're asleep!
2. Thai Airways – Yet another excellent airline! Some consider them to be Singapore Airlines' true competitor, both being based in Southeast Asia and both being considered to be some of the best in the world. Like in Singapore Airlines, you're guaranteed satisfaction with them.
3. Cathay Pacific – A consistent competitor ever since the conception of the rewards, you are sure to have a good experience with them. Although not as good as the best, it's their more than above average ratios in everything a passenger needs gives them a good edge against other airlines.
4. Qatar Airways – If you're flying first class, look no further! Qatar Airways has the best first class seats in the business, and is not a slouch in the other categories either. It's also the best airline based in the Middle East. Grab a flight with them and see what they can do for you.
5. Qantas – Another consistent performer like Cathay Pacific, it's considered to be the best airline based in Australia. It does well in many of the comfort categories, and is known to be a top choice for flights.
So what are you waiting for? If you have a trip planned, be sure that it's one of these airlines for a comfortable travel experience that will leave you smiling, inside-out!